Who Should Buy a Heated Cat Bed?
Table of Contents
- Who Should Buy a Heated Cat Bed?
- Important Features of Pet Heating Pads
- RIOGOO Pet Heating Pad, Electric Heating Pad for Dogs and Cats Indoor Warming Mat with Auto Power Off 18″ x 18”
- K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Mat | Heated Mat for Cats | 6 Watts
- FurHaven Pet Mat | ThermaNAP Self-Warming Pet Mat for Dogs & Cats
- Pet Heating Pad for Cats Puppy Small Animals Electric Heating Pad Indoor Waterproof Adjustable Temperature Warming Mat With Chew Resistant Steel Cord
- K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed
- Do I Need a Cat Heating Pad?
- You live in a cold area and want your pet to have a warm place to lay
- Your pet is recovering from an injury or illness and it was recommended by the veterinarian
- Your cat is always trying to lay in the sun
- You want to boost your cat’s immune system
Important Features of Pet Heating Pads
Will it be used indoors or outdoors? This is important because most pet heating pads are designed specifically for one or the other, but usually not both. The main difference is usually the level of heat the heating pad will give off. Outdoor models will get considerably warmer than indoor models, as they are designed to be used outside in the cold, or in an unheated space.
Does it have a thermostat? While this might seem like an obvious one, it is important when considering your buying options. It’s always best to opt for a model that has a way to regulate the temperature. The last thing you want is a heating pad that gets too hot, and you always have to be plugging it in and unplugging it to regulate temperature. Or even worse, harm your cat or pet because the temperature was not regulated properly.
Is it comfortable? Your cat will love you for this one! Be sure to choose a model that has plenty of padding so your cat can get the most pleasure from using the heating pad. After all, the whole point is to make your cat happy, right?
The power cord. Make sure when shopping for a cat heating pad, you get a model that has some sort of “chew resistant” cord. And, be sure the cord is long enough for the area in your home you are looking to use it in.
Size of the heating pad. This option will largely depend on how many cats you plan on having use the heating pad at once. Or, if you have one very large cat. Make sure the size is appropriate, especially if you live in a small apartment or if you don’t have a lot of space. Be sure to check the measurements of the heating pad you plan to buy, and make sure it will fit in the area of your home you plan to put it.
Self-heated or Electric? Some of the pet heating pads or beds are not actually electric. They work by absorbing the body heat from your cat, and reflecting it back out. Sort of like long underwear for cats. Buying a self heated model can also take away some of the concerns mentioned above as well, such as cord length, thermostat, indoor/outdoor etc. Not to mention, self-heated models are almost always less expensive and do not need electricity, which can be a plus.
RIOGOO Pet Heating Pad, Electric Heating Pad for Dogs and Cats Indoor Warming Mat with Auto Power Off 18″ x 18”
We start with the Riogoo heating pad as it’s one of the most desired options according to many consumers. This heating pad is a mix of value / features. It is one of the highest rated cat heating pads on the market today. Here are some of the best features of this product:
- This company has a 1 year guarantee on the product, and promises replacement if it goes bad within a year of purchase.
- It has built-in layered protection to ensure your pet does not get burned from the heating element.
- Has a built in timer to automatically turn itself on and off
- Water resistant
- Laundry machine washable
K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Mat | Heated Mat for Cats | 6 Watts
Another great heating pad option, this one not only has many nice features, but it also just looks nice and cozy. It’s surprising how well it blends into your home as it doesn’t look like a heating pad but simply a luxury cushion.
The mat measures in at 12.5″ x 25″ and is large enough to fit an adult cat or small dog.
Available in mocha and sage, this mat has racked up over a thousand online reviews. Some of the reviewers’ favorite features are:
- Thermostat controlled
- Runs on a very low amount of electricity (only 6 watts)
- Removable cover for easy washing
- Comes with a 1 year warranty, although unclear if they will provide replacement if dissatisfied
- Available in multiple sizes and colors
- Automatically adjusts to your pet’s body temperature
FurHaven Pet Mat | ThermaNAP Self-Warming Pet Mat for Dogs & Cats
Definitely one of the best budget friendly options available from Amazon right now.
The FurHaven Pet Mat is pretty much no frills when it comes to features, but is definitely a great value for the money. If you are looking for a budget option, this is it! Some of its key features are:
- Does not require electricity to use
- Ultra portable
- Very affordable price
- Washing machine friendly
- Very plush material sure to keep your pet cozy!
Pet Heating Pad for Cats Puppy Small Animals Electric Heating Pad Indoor Waterproof Adjustable Temperature Warming Mat With Chew Resistant Steel Cord
This pad is great for a very small pet. Why buy a huge heating pad if you have a small cat?
It also comes with 2 different covers for the heating pad in 2 different colors. Not that buying this item is really a fashion statement, but it is nice to have a separate cover in case one wears out.
Some the best features are:
- Made with flame resistant materials
- Built in burn protection to make sure it does not get too hot for your pet
- LED controller
- Company offers a 1 year guarantee, but unclear exactly what that guarantee is
- Chew resistant power cord
K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed
I love this pet heating bed because of exactly that reason. It is a heating bed, not just a heating pad. By looking at it, you wouldn’t even know this was a heated bed, as it looks like a normal super comfy cat bed.
The Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed comes in two colors: mocha and sage. Also, it is offered in two different sizes: 16 inch and 20 inch.
To me, this is the perfect blend between cat heating pad and comfy full-time cat bed. Some the best features of this product are:
- Aesthetically appealing look
- Ultra soft foam material
- Heater is removable so the bed can be used all year round
- Available in 2 sizes and colors
- Runs on only 4 watts of electricity
- Removable cover for easy cleaning
- 5 foot long cord
Do I Need a Cat Heating Pad?
The short answer, probably not. So why would I buy one, you might ask. The best answer to that question is because you love your cat or pet and want them to be as warm and cozy in the cold weather as much as possible.
As pet owners, we pride ourselves in giving our pets the best lives we can possibly give them. Often times, even better than some people’s lives LOL!
A cat heating pad is certainly not a necessity. Your cat has warm thick fur that keeps them pretty warm, regardless of weather conditions. But it certainly does not hurt to pamper your feline a little bit. If your cat is one that is always searching for a warm spot, this will certainly be a nice present for them to enjoy.
About the Author
Rosa is a cat lover and operates the blog bestcatinfo.com She prides herself in seeking out some of the best cat trees, and cat accessories to enhance the lives of feline owners and their furry friends. If you have a cat or pet that you love, be sure to check out her blog!
Images Credit: Amazon.com